Utilizing ‘Elf of the Shelf’ to support child development in positive ways
Our second Elf SKILLZ is KINDNESS. Being kind means thinking of others first.
To help develop kindness, our Elf SKILLZ challenges today are 1- Be Polite, 2 – Complimenting Others, and 3 – Having Generosity.
CHALLENGE 1 – Be Polite
Having kindness means that you are polite to others. Being polite starts with looking at people when they are talking to you, saying ‘hello’ and ‘bye,’ and smiling when they give you a compliment. Do you have kindness if…
- You ignore people when they talk to you?
- You smile when you meet someone?
- You say ‘hello’ and ‘bye’ when you see your friends and family?
- You get angry if you have to talk when you’re not in the mood?
Today I challenge you to have kindness by being polite!
CHALLENGE 2 – Complementing Others
Having kindness means that you are polite to others, and one great way to be polite is to give compliments.When you say something nice to someone else, then that is a compliment. People love compliments, especially when you do it all on your own. Here’s a quiz on giving compliments! Is this a compliment…
- When you tell someone they look pretty today?
- When you tell someone they smell bad?
- When you tell someone they are a nice person?
- When you tell someone they are not very smart?
Today I challenge you to have kindness by giving two different people!
CHALLENGE 3 – Having Generosity
Having kindness means that you care about others, and one way to show you care is through generosity. There are many ways you can have generosity such as donating old toys, collecting food to donate, and sharing with others. Let’s play a game to see how generous you are! Is this being generous…
- You keep all your toys because you don’t want anyone to have them?
- You pick out toys are no longer play with and give them to another person to enjoy?
- You don’t like to share your food if you have extra on your plate even if know you won’t finish it all by yourself?
- You help like to help families in need such as helping with food collection?
Today I challenge you to have generosity. Find one way to give something to another person.
Putting the SKILLZ to work
For more information about how this can work in your home, see the Elf SKILLZ Introduction blog!