Utilizing ‘Elf of the Shelf’ to support child development in positive ways
Our sixth ELF SKILLZ Lesson is all about HEALTHINESS.
It means taking good care of your body!
To help develop HEALTHINESS, our Elf SKILLZ challenges are 1- Eating Healthy Food, 2 – Exercising, and 3 – Learning.
CHALLENGE 1 – Eating Healthy Food
Set up idea: Elf eating a fruit or veggie.
“Do you know what healthiness means? It means taking good care of your body…
When you take good care of your body, such as eating healthy, then you feel better and have more energy. Eating healthy also helps your brain work better, which means you will become smarter! Let’s try a game to see if you know how to eat healthy! Are you eating healthy if…
- You skip eating vegetables because you don’t like how they taste?
- You eat all the fruit on your plate?
- You spit food out because it doesn’t taste like ice cream?
- You eat your dinner even if you don’t like all the food on your plate?
Today I challenge you to eat a healthy dinner!”
Follow this link for a print out of challenge 1: Healthiness – Challenge 1
CHALLENGE 2 – Exercising
Set up idea: Elf with sweatband, wristbands, and leg warmers on hanging off a piece of home exercise equipment, looking like he’s going jumping jacks, or running.
“Having healthiness is all about taking good care of your body and that includes exercising! When you take good care of your body, such as exercising, then you feel stronger and have more energy. Let’s take a quiz to see if you know how to exercise properly! Are you exercising if…
- You walk the block?
- You run as far as you can and try that same distance at least 3 times?
- You try to do push-ups and then give up after the first one?
- You do at least 5 sit-ups and then try to beat that number each day?
Today I challenge you to exercise your arms, legs, abs, and heart. Do at least 5 reps of exercises for each muscle group.”
Follow this link for a print out of challenge 2: Healthiness – Challenge 2
CHALLENGE 3 – Learning
Set up idea: Elf holding a book open or drawing on a piece of paper
“Having healthiness is also about exercising your brain! When you read, write, and explore then your brain is storing new information. This helps your brain stay healthy, which means you will be smarter and more confident. Let’s take a quiz to see if you know how to exercise your brain properly! Are you exercising your brain if…
- You work on writing a sentence, but then quit because you are tired?
- You write as many sentences as you can and then try to write more sentences they next day?
- You try to read a book, but then give up after the first page?
- You try to read a few pages of a book each day?
Today I challenge you to exercise your brain. Pick a healthy way to exercise your brain such as reading a book or writing a story.”
Follow this link for a print out of challenge 3: Healthiness – Challenge 3
Putting the SKILLZ to work
For more information about how this can work in your home, see the Elf SKILLZ Introduction blog!